The Emporium Moor Lane Clitheroe - 1st December 2016

The Emporium was the first venue, in the family of what is now James' Places Group, housed in a three storey Methodist Chapel, converted to create an informal place to eat, drink and shop, in the market town of Clitheroe.


Originally a coffee shop, The Emporium has evolved over the years, to encompass a wine bar, brasserie and interior design shop, with furnishings on show, available to purchase.   I love its warm, inviting, relaxed atmosphere and as described on the website its Parisian Grand Cafe style, appeals to all.




The purpose of my Thursday lunchtime visit, was to sample their recently introduced vegan menu, which has plenty of choice.


I chose a houmous and pitta platter for one, with a portion of chips, because I was feeling hungry, though I was defeated and failed to finish, it was a hearty portion.   The falafels were excellent, not stodgy or heavy, lovely houmous, with a salad of artichokes and roast peppers and chunky chips, it was pretty much my ideal lunch.





I love the attention to detail on the menu, explaining salad dressings contain honey, so ask for alternatives like olive oil and balsamic and the note about the risotto, saying no egg, butter or Parmesan, gives reassurance.   I also like the menu itself, not some flimsy paper copy, but identical to the main menu, which shows commitment to their vegan customers.   

I have two small niggles, one being fruit plate for dessert, something I would expect to be offered thirty years ago, maybe they will address this, I am full of suggestions, if they need ideas.   It is also a shame, with so many vegan wines on the list I immediately recognised, having sampled them all previously, they are not clearly labelled on the drinks menu.   The ones I spotted offer a good choice namely:

Boutinot Les Coteaux Cotes du Rhone Villages
Sierre Grande Chardonnay
Sierra Grande Merlot
Les Oliviers Chardonnay
False Bay Chardonnay
Vedilhan Viognier
Emiliana Pinot Noir
Pablo Y Walter Malbec

I have not visited The Emporium for twelve months, but can see I will be visiting with friends, who leave the venue up to me and if I can be catered for.   I have to give credit for offering a vegan menu though and if lunch today was anything to go by, I cannot wait to try the other vegan options.

Addendum 1:   I visited again for lunch today, its a handy place to meet up with a friend, especially with good rail and bus links to Clitheroe.   I chose linguine with courgettes, tomatoes, spinach, pine nuts and what a top pasta dish this turned out to be, perfectly cooked pasta, loads of olive oil and vegetables and plenty of it.



I do object to places, that think vegans have the appetite of a sparrow, so you get some measly portion, not at the Emporium, I ate well and had to leave a little.   The dish was better than the majority of Italian restaurants I have eaten at and the list is long, so big thumbs up to chefs.   I cannot wait to try their other dishes.

Addendum 2:  I revisited The Emporium last night 7th January and the wine list has changed, although not updated on their website, so I am unable to update the vegan friendly list of wines, but hope to do so in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment