Turners Wines Gisburn Road Barrowford - 16th January 2017

I was meeting a friend for lunch, who lives near Barrowford, so I emailed Turners Wines asking as to vegan options and if their bread contained soya or not.   I had a great response from Jane, who suggested a vegan platter, with homemade buckwheat pancakes, in lieu of bread, how inventive.

Turners is on the main road in Barrowford and has evolved over the years and is a great place for breakfast or lunch, with a deli counter  and a huge wine selection.   You can either sit at one of the tables or they have small booths for more intimate dining.



I arrived and was shown to our table by Steve, who I think is one of the owners, who said chef Matthew had planned a vegan feast and gave me a handwritten menu.   Was I looking forward to my lunch after reading it, Matthew had really pushed the boat out.


When my vegan feast arrived, I was blown away by Matthew's care and attention, to ensure I had a tasty filling lunch and loved the presentation.





The arancini were better than the ones I made last week and to achieve a crunchy texture, they were coated in ground almonds (I will be stealing that clever idea).   The buckwheat pancakes were like Indian dosas, aerated with tiny bubbles, making them so light, filled with oyster mushrooms and spinach.   The sweet potato wedges had a real kick of chilli and were delicious dipped into the houmous and I loved all the salad bits, like artichoke, olives, rocket and beetroot slaw.   This definitely was a vegan feast, I was so impressed and I demolished the lot.

The pudding was equally delicious, perfectly roasted plums, pineapple and pear, with rose syrup and toasted almonds.   The flavour of rose can be dominating and I am not keen on sickly sweet syrups, but the balance of both was spot on, the syrup really complimented the fruit.



I find that when I enquire about vegan options, its the family run independents, who really rise to the challenge and in this case, Turners really came up trumps, right from my initial contact with Jane.   If Matthew reads my review, a big thank you, you did great, I was a very happy well fed vegan and I will definitely revisit.


No comments:

Post a Comment