Kale And Potato Soup

I have never been a big lover of kale but having had it on the fabulous vegan menu at The Midland Hotel, Morecambe, I asked the chef for tips, his answer being, blanch chopped kale in boiling water for two mins and then use it whatever dish you are making.   I like to stirfry it gently in oil with garlic and chilli.  Now I am addicted to kale and it is on my shopping list every week and below is my recipe for kale and potato soup.   My way of cooking soup, unless I am following a recipe, is a little hit and miss, just throw aload of things into a pan and hey presto!   On this occasion my throw things in philosophy backfired, what I should have done is add the kale for the last few mins, otherwise it loses its lovely vibrant green, as you can see from the sludgy green in the photo below, lesson learnt!   It does not detract from the flavour though.

200 g of chopped kale blanched for two mins
3 small onions chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
6 small potatoes peeled and chopped
1 vegan stock cube made up with a 750 ml of water
2 tbsp rapeseed oil or oil of choice
Salt and pepper

Saute the onions, garlic and potatoes in the oil until the onions are translucent, add the stock and salt and pepper to taste and cook until the potatoes are tender.   Add the kale and cook for two to three mins and then blend until smooth, if the soup is a little too thick, add a little water to dilute.    I like to serve it with a drizzle of olive oil or soya cream or whatever you fancy, toasted nuts and seeds would also be good.



No comments:

Post a Comment