The Parkers Arms Hall Gate Hill Newton - 13th June 2015

I love the Parkers Arms and every time I visit I cannot wait to return, so being as our last visit was a month or two ago, I was really looking forward to seeing what chef Stosie had on the vegan menu.   Its a rural pub in the village of Newton in Bowland in the beautiful Ribble Valley and has a dual purpose, as the local village pub but also, luckily for us, one of the best gastro pubs in the area.

"Strawberry Fizz" was advertised on the blackboard made from fresh strawberries mixed with Prosecco, I was sold it was delicious and kicked off what was to be a good night.


We had "tweet treats" a big basket of crispy potato skins with salsa with plenty of salt, these you really could nibble on ALL night.


My starter was tomato salad with watercress, radish and onion with homemade focaccia bread and oodles of herb dressing.   The Parkers prides itself on locally grown produce which they proudly tell you about on their menu, the tomatoes were from Blackpool, the watercress from Great Eccleston near Preston, so they keep their carbon foot print to a minimum and support local producers.   The salad was simple but  "less is more" and the ingredients speak for themselves and with the bread to mop up every morsel I loved it. 


Mains was vegetable pie with chips or salad, I opted for salad because I wanted room for pudding!   The pie looked great with a fantastic golden crust served with tomato sauce and samphire, it was delicious packed with loads of vegetables.  


Chef Stosie really stars on the pudding front, she kicks into touch many of the "fine dining/Michelin" star places I have eaten at, where vegan puddings have been an insult like kiwi and strawberries on a cocktail stick of all things.  What chef would consider that acceptable?   My chocolate and peanut butter tart with caramel shard, edible flower, strawberries and a little jug of soya cream was a winner it was awesome.   Vegan food is boring!  NONSENSE!


And to finish I asked Ben who does a great job front of house, had they any mint tea.   You cant get much fresher, he went and picked some from their herb garden and made me a lovely pot (the photo is a little blurry due to the steam) but it was very refreshing.   


You have to admire the Parkers ethos, commitment and dedication, I don't think I have ever dined anywhere that has so much passion and you always get a warm welcome from AJ, Kathy and Ben. 

No comments:

Post a Comment