Salvis Cucina John Dalton Street Manchester - 4th March 2015

I had contacted Salvis Cucina via Twitter to ask if their pasta was vegan friendly ie no egg and had a speedy response to say it was suitable.  My husband had been keen to visit Salvis Cucina for ages so I booked a table and had another great response from owner Maurizio as regards my diet, who assured me that I did not need to prebook my meal but there would be plenty for me to eat on the day, so I felt sure I would be well looked after.   We arrived for lunch at 12.30 and whilst perusing the menu I received another tweet showing a photo of the freshly made vegan pasta, how fantastic is that.  We got a warm welcome off Maurizio and Pasquale who both looked after us with a smile and brought us drinks to start a Peroni for my other half and a Negroni which contains Campari.   In the past I have always avoided drinks with Campari, as the red colour was derived from cochineal (crushed beetles) however I only recently found out that the company who make Campari changed their colouring to a synthetic one around 2009 so Campari is back on the drinks list.   The Negroni is a lovely refreshing drink and its my favourite pre-dinner drink of the moment.


I ordered bruschetta pomodoro which was fresh and delicious and a good sized portion with lovely homemade bread, simple ingredients but well executed.


Mains was pasta primavera comprising of artichokes, mushrooms, olives and sundried tomatoes in red sauce, the pasta was made to order in the kitchen and its the first time ever I have had fresh vegan pasta anywhere, it was delicious.


I have always been told in various Italian restaurants that all pasta is made with egg, but Salvis proves this is nonsense, as Maurizio said not only had they made fresh pasta suitable for me but also had dried pasta if I wanted.   We had a very nice bottle of Gavi di Gavi to accompany the meal and finished with an excellent espresso.


Salvis is a lovely cosy restaurant and seeing some of the pizzas being taken to other tables, I know exactly what I am having on our next visit, which will definitely be sooner rather than later.   Service throughout was very friendly and we even met Maurizio's wife Clare who replies so quickly on Twitter.   You can tell this is a family owned and run restaurant and I cannot wait to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment