Follow Your Heart VeganEgg

I have been dying to try Follow Your Heart VeganEgg, after seeing all the buzz on Twitter, so when I went to Leeds Vegan Festival last week and saw it for sale, on The Vegan Society stand, I had to buy it.   I paid £4 (which I thought was pretty steep) until I saw a stand further along selling it for £7!


I have not eaten eggs in nearly thirty years and they were the turning point, resulting in my decision to remove all animal products from my diet, so this product feels foreign to me.   I decided to make the scrambled egg recipe on the label.


The packaging is very egg like and the product itself, does remind me of chickpea flour.



Two eggs equal 20g VeganEgg blended with 230 ml of ice cold water, which results in a viscous liquid, smelling of egg, how do you replicate that smell,  I cannot say I was feeling very enthusiastic at this point.


As per instructions I heated some oil in a pan, added the 'egg' and scrambled the mixture with a spoon, at which point I knew I would not be able to eat it, my stomach turned.


I served the scrambled egg with tomato ketchup and plenty salt and pepper, but I am afraid I only managed a teaspoon, far too authentic for me, in fact 'I Can't Believe Its Not Egg'.



I hate waste, but sadly VeganEgg went in the bin and the sauteed vegetables which I made to go with it, made up my lunch and was much more up my street.


VeganEgg is an excellent product and so realistic, it was a problem for me and my personal taste BUT it will appeal to many and I have to applaud the inventiveness of its creators and vegans who want an egg replacer will love it, but not for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment