Roots & Fruits Grand Arcade Leeds - 18th June 2016

Roots & Fruits is a vegetarian and vegan cafe, in the Grand Arcade and is very welcoming and cosy and very busy on a Saturday lunchtime.   I often wonder in places like Roots and Fruits, what the percentage of customers are vegetarian and vegan, I somehow think carnivores make up a big percentage.



We managed to get a table for two and perused the menu, with its interesting vegan options, with more on their daily specials board.   I could not resist jerk jackfruit, being allergic to soya, it has been difficult to find alternatives for things like tofu, but jackfruit can be used in many dishes and I am keen to try as many as I can.



The dish was served with vegan cheesy sauce and sour coconut cream, plantain, yams, sweet potato and tortillas, totally delicious and the dish renewed my enthusiasm to utilise jackfruit more in my cooking.

An excellent Americano coffee accompanied my lunch, at the end of which, I had a chat with owner Kay, who was a friendly and helpful lady.   She was kind enough to let me know, where they got their jackfruit, which lucky for me, was just round the corner from a Thai supermarket, so I hot footed it down there quick to grab some tins.   Roots and Fruits should be on everyone's to visit list, when in Leeds.




No comments:

Post a Comment