Bertrams Restaurant Crow Wood Burnley - 21st November 2015

Friends of mine are big fans of Bertrams Restaurant and had invited me to join them for dinner, so I contacted Bertrams a good few weeks prior to our visit as to vegan options.   The dishes I suggested, which were vegan versions of dishes already on their current menu, were no problem for chef.

Bertrams is part of Crow Wood Health and Leisure complex set in 100 acres of woodland, it is a pretty awesome place and the restaurant itself is modern but cosy.   We had drinks in the bar and were then shown to our table.   I had ordered a starter of Asian stir fry vegetables with Chinese pancakes and hoisin sauce, the vegetables were delicious, with a lovely smoky flavour and sesame seeds gave a bit of a crunch, a perfect starter for me.   Sadly my photos are a little grainy, which I think is due to the low lighting but also my mobile phone camera needing a clean!



Main course was to be a vegan take on fish and chips, but with tempura vegetables, chips, mushy peas and tomato ketchup instead of tartare sauce.   However I only got tempura vegetables so no mushy peas or chips, but one of the best tomato sauces I have had, it was fantastic.




I wondered if there had been some miscommunication to the kitchen regarding my order, but I did not want to cause a fuss, because everyone else had their main courses and it is awkward when you are a guest.   I did wonder if the chips and mushy peas were not vegan, but thoroughly enjoyed the tempura which was a healthy portion, but chips and mushy peas would have been a great addition.   I would certainly visit Bertrams again though, as chef Spencer Burge and his team, certainly get some flavour into their food.

No comments:

Post a Comment