Piccolino Moor Lane Clitheroe - 14th February 2016

This was my first visit of 2016, to Piccolino Clitheroe and each visit gets better and better.   The restaurant is located in a fabulous listed school building, on the main street running through Clitheroe and has plenty of outside seating, when the weather is nice.


On arrival we got a warm welcome off Restaurant Manager Dan Atzori, who took our coats and showed us through to the bar.   A young chap Fabrizio, whose name I asked in my best Italian, gave me a copy of their seasonal menu, suggesting the blood orange, fennel, rocket and pomegranate salad, as a vegan option.   He said they could change the honey dressing, for olive oil and lemon and also gave me a list of vegan wines to choose from, for me to take home.



We were shown through to the restaurant, which is modern, airy and light and had a lovely table, big enough for four, so we had plenty of room.


I had a glass of Lunetta Prosecco to accompany some fabulous olives and complimentary bread, all of which are vegan, as I also have a copy of their allergen list.   Sadly I have no photos of the food, because my mobile phone's battery gave up.

I took Fabrizio's advice and chose the blood orange salad, a delicious, light starter, with texture added by the pomegranate seeds and I mopped up all the lovely juices with the last bit of bread.

I ordered a Capricciosa pizza and Fabrizio suggested roast peppers and capers, to replace the ham and cheese and I had a glass of Mastri Vernacoli Trentino Sauvignon Blanc to go with it.   The pizza was delicious, plenty of topping and a really good base, although I failed to finish it all, as it was substantial.

We had a chat with our waitress Frederica, as we have been to her home city of Naples and before she brought dessert menus, off  she went to speak with one of the other Managers Roberto to check if any desserts were vegan.   She came back and suggested either lemon or passion fruit sorbet, so I opted for lemon, which was a real palate cleanser, it was so lemony and refreshing.

I cannot fault the service and especially the attention to detail of the front of house staff, as regards my vegan diet, which must all be down to Restaurant Manager Dan, which makes for a relaxing and enjoyable evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment