The Assheton Arms Downham - 5th February 2016

This was my first visit to The Assheton Arms in 2016, but will definitely not be the last.   I contacted Manager Tom, with ideas taken from their current menu, as to vegan options, I think this works well, its easier for the chefs, as the ingredients are in stock and I know what I am having.   I never just turn up at a restaurant, expecting the kitchen to create something vegan, I think its unfair, especially during a busy service and have no sympathy for vegans who do so, then complain about inferior food.

I had asked a couple of questions via email, regarding bread and sorbet and on arrival Tom confirmed that both were okay for me, so I was looking forward to my dinner.

Starter was mixed mushrooms, cooked to perfection with garlic, parsley and loads of olive oil on toasted bread.   This was a fabulous dish, I loved it and could quite easily have eaten double the portion, chef made a wonderful vegan version of their mushrooms on brioche dish.


Mains was a take on fish and chips, sadly I had to forego the mushy peas, due to my allergy problem with pulses, but the tempura vegetables and chips, with srichara sauce instead of ketchup, was more than enough.   One thing I hate is dense, soggy batter, but this was so light and crisp, I especially loved the broccoli, it was very moreish as were the chips, my plate was clean, it was delicious.



I am not a huge pudding person and I am usually too full, but I managed a portion of sorbet, which was a nice refreshing ending to a lovely vegan meal.


Service throughout by the front of house team was spot on, drinks were offered, glasses cleared away, refills of water offered, no complaints.

I will definitely be revisiting, sooner rather than later, as I do like the sound of some of their curries, which can be easily made vegan.  



No comments:

Post a Comment