Tharavadu Mill Hill Leeds - 24th September 2016

Tharavadu is an Indian restaurant, with umpteen awards and included in numerous food guides, such as Michelin and Hardens.   Tharavadu offers traditional Kerala cooking, so I contacted them via Twitter, to check how vegan friendly they are and their response prompted me to book a table for dinner.



Keralan cuisine is quite spicy, so after checking about vegan options, kicked off with snacks and pickles, consisting of pappada vada papadams dipped in rice batter, pakkavadakaya made from rice and gram flour, varuthathu made from deep fried plantain chips and pappadoms.   Alongside these were served three chutneys, coconut and chilli, lemon and mango, my favourite was the coconut (see photo) delicious, creamy and spicy.




I passed on starters, but Steven ordered vegetable dosa, which could easily have fed four and which I could not try, as it contained lentils, but it smelled and looked fantastic, he failed to finish it.


Main course was kadala masala, chickpeas cooked in a light tomato sauce (requested extra hot) and koon mezhukku varatty, mushrooms sauteed with onion, garlic and coconut and boiled rice.




The dishes were totally delicious and really fresh, with plenty green chillies in the chickpea dish, although no one in our party could tolerate it, in fact it made Steven's eyes water, his mouth was on fire and his hair wet.   I love my spice and this was just how I like my curry.

Tharavadu is not your typical Indian restaurant, with such intersting dishes on the menu, a welcome change from the humdrum Madras, Rojan Josh dishes etc and if it was nearer, I would be a regular customer.   I can understand why it so highly regarded.




No comments:

Post a Comment