The Forest Inn Cuckstool Lane Fence - 14th September 2016

The Forest Inn is a newly opened venue, owned by the Seafood Pub Company, who also own The Assheton Arms, which I reviewed in February (see here)


The refurbishment is fantastic, modern and contemporary, but with a warm feel to the place, I really liked it.



There is also the bonus of a lovely outside terrace to the rear, gardens overlooking open fields and plenty of outdoor seating.



I rang The Forest Inn, on the morning I was hoping to visit, to ask about the ingredients of their pizza bases and bread.   My call was put through to chef Richard, who confirmed the pizza bases and breads were vegan friendly, soya free and I could add extra toppings to replace the cheese.   I booked a table purely based on this conversation and how helpful Richard was.

I kicked off with mixed olives, smoked almonds and broad beans, I loved these, a perfect pre-lunch nibble.



Main course was a Market Garden pizza, with the cheese replaced by jalapenos and as the photos show, it looks fantastic on the plate.




I loved it and to say The Forest Inn is a gastro pub, my pizza knocked spots off most Italian restaurants, it was succulent, full of artichokes, mushrooms, peppers, spinach and cherry tomatoes.   Many Italian restaurants make the mistake of putting far too much tomato sauce on, when you ask for no cheese, resulting in a really soggy base, but this was perfect.

I was looked after by Assistant Manager, Megan who is a great asset front of house, friendly and enthusiastic.   I shall look forward to a return visit in the evening, worth it just for their pizza, although maybe next time I will enquire if they can offer other vegan options. Then again I love pizza so much, not sure I could resist.

Note:  I revisited The Forest Inn last night, a Saturday, a chalk and cheese experience to my lunchtime visit and a place to be avoided at weekends.   The place was so noisy, you could hardly hear yourself think, the food was mediocre and getting drinks for the table, took an absolute age.

No comments:

Post a Comment