Mheat by Sgaia Foods Limited

Sgaia Foods kindly sent me a free sample of their meat replacement product Mheat, which is a little like seitan.   Sadly due to its soya content, I was unable to try it due to allergies, but my husband, who eats vegan 99% of the time, but still eats meat, offered to give his honest opinion of the product.

As the product is chilled, it is delivered in a thermally insulated package and according to their website, Sgaia Foods have made every effort to ensure the packaging is as sustainable as possible.



The product is a brownish colour, quite firm to the touch and meaty in texture.


The first dish I made was barbecued Mheat, so I cut it into strips and coated it with a spice mixture and gently fried in oil, adding barbecue sauce after a couple of minutes.




As you can see it looks just like barbecued meat and my husbands verdict:

"My first impression was it looked like meat out of the pack and has good texture.   It holds together well during cooking and was very tasty when cooked and has huge potential for all kinds of dishes, like stirfries, stews and casseroles and on sandwiches.   If I did not know otherwise I would think it was meat"

The second time I cooked Mheat, was to accompany a baked potato and salad, so I cubed the Mheat and gently fried in oil in a pan.


I then added a little soy sauce and gently fried until browned on the outside, the product is already pre-cooked, so it does not need much cooking.





Mheat gets the big thumbs up from my husband, who can see the future, where this kind of product will greatly reduce or even replace meat in the market place.

No comments:

Post a Comment