The Parkers Arms Hall Gate Hill Newton - 19th December 2015

Its awhile since my last review of The Parkers Arms and this being my last restaurant review of 2015, was a blinder of a vegan menu to finish the year.

I love their food philosophy, seasonal, local produce, simply prepared, which I do not mean in a derogatory kind of way, because simple really is the hardest, with nowhere to hide.

I kicked off  with nibbles of awesome crispy potato skins, these were one of the best, perhaps due to the kind of potato used, with sweet chilli dipping sauce, I could eat a ton of these!


My starter was warm confit Lancashire brown cap mushrooms, caramelised onion, homemade focaccia and parsley oil.   They must get through tons of watercress, served as a salad accompaniment, with soused butternut squash, radish and onion and loads of dressing, if you gave me just this and some good bread, I would be happy.


Mains was brussel tops, stuffed with wild rice and chestnuts, served with butternut squash puree, roast sprouts and chestnuts, it was that good I could have easily licked the plate.   A typical example of seasonal produce, used to perfection and how good does this dish look in the photo.


Chef Stosie is "Master of Vegan Puddings" not a fruit salad, dollop of sorbet, or undercooked caramelised banana in sight, which I was served elsewhere only last week.   Chocolate tart with almond ice-cream, caramel shard and a chocolate sauce, made with oat cream specially, as I am allergic to soya, just look at the sheen on that chocolate.


I ordered a very nice bottle of Domaine de Vedilhan Viognier, a fine vegan wine, in fact The Parkers has several vegan wines that I know of, on their wine list


This is not your typical gastro-pub, you may have to wait for your food, as it is made to order and everything is made on site, scratch cooking at its best.   It is a proper village pub, so you get locals in having a few beers or two and is popular with walkers, due to its location in the Hodder Valley close to the Bowland Fells, you have to drive there, but it is worth it.

Service front of house is always relaxed and friendly and there is always some banter going on with either AJ, Kathy or Ben.   Roll on 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment