The Highwayman Burrow Kirkby Lonsdale - 8th February 2017

The Highwayman is part of Ribble Valley Inns and having dined at The Three Fishes several times, I thought it would make a good lunch stop, on a trip up to the Lake District.



I checked their online menu and saw a fabulous sounding cauliflower dish, which could easily be made vegan, so I completed their online contact form to enquire.


I received the speediest reply, saying it would be no problem at all, how about changing the cheese crumb to spicy tomato relish and cooking the kale with chilli oil, so I booked for lunch.

When we arrived, on a cold Wednesday, we had a table by the fire, which was lovely and toasty and was a good spot to take photos of the interior, which has lots of cosy nooks to sit and dine.




I had not anticipated having a starter, but as Steven was having one, I asked about the avocado salad, without cheese.   The immediate response was, no problem, I really liked their attitude, very positive on the dietary requirement front.    I also liked that, having removed the cheese, they gave me extra avocado, in fact a whole one, so many places remove some of the dish, with no replacement and charge the same price.




The presentation was great, with loads of dressed salad leaves, covering finely diced mixed peppers. cherry tomatoes, red onion and a huge fan of avocado, it was a perfect starter, I love this kind of dish.

I love cauliflower and my main course, I will try and replicate at home, it was absolutely delicious.




The black pea puree was warming and filling, the fritters crispy and the roasted cauliflower, with the puree and the chilli kale, was a perfect marriage.   I love they have created something a little different, not some boring bland dish, but a hearty delicious creation.

I really enjoyed our visit, we were looked after by Simon, who did a great job, was friendly and took time to have a chat and loved his attitude of, if we can do it, we will.

I will definitely return to The Highwayman in the future, if ever in the area and maybe next time, there will be another delicious vegan option on offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment