The Deaf Institute Grosvenor Street Manchester - 13th November 3016

As the name suggests The Deaf Institute was just that, built in 1878, but these days is an independent venue, spread over three floors, with a bar, restaurant and music hall.   I was dying to try their Sunday Vegan Hangover, a perfect end to a day spent exploring the Makers Market in the Northern Quarter.


The Deaf Institute is just off Oxford Road, in the University campus area, so I was expecting to feel a bit of a dinosaur customer, but to be honest age is irrevelant, its a cool, eclectic kind of place and I loved it.   The lighting was spot on for my liking, I hate anywhere with bright atmospheric killing lights, so my photos are not as clear as I would like, but hope they give an idea of both the place and food.




I have been following vegan chef Charlie Hadley on Twitter and although The Deaf Institute is a not a vegan establishment, she has introduced a huge selection of vegan dishes and it gives me comfort being catered for by a fellow vegan.   I caught up with Charlie for a brief chat prior to our meal, it was great to finally meet and I loved her enthusiasm for cooking and all things vegan.

I had an Aperol and soda to start, then with our meal a large glass of vegan friendly Vina Arroba Rosado, confirmed online at Stockport based Smithfield Wines who have a vegan search filter.

Steven ordered the vegan roast of the day and I opted for the seitan burger, but it was a hard decision to make, based on what was on offer.


The roast dinner was huge and would cure any hangover and with complimentary Mac 'n Cheese alongside (the best ever in our opinion), I had to help Steven out, as I demolished my burger.   The main courses were excellent and dismissed the image of vegan food being insipid, bland or boring, just a shame my photos did not do justice to the food, but we were impressed.






We shared both desserts, a chocolate brownie bowl, very much like a chocolate fondant, with soft Italian baby meringues and an ice-cream parlour bowl.   They were lush and far flung from boring fruit salad or fruit platter, which sadly can be the norm.



Overall we loved our experience from the warm welcome off Kate and Poppy, who did a wonderful job looking after us, the quirky venue, to the wonderful food created by Charlie.   They are hoping to increase their vegan options (wonder what else Charlie has in mind) and currently have vegan options on their Christmas party menu, which would appeal to groups and works outings, where vegans are sometimes an after thought, but not here.



I highly recommend The Deaf Institute, we are so lucky to have places like this, wish I had somewhere like this to go to, back in the day.

As Happycow Ambassador for Manchester it is great to see The Deaf Institute listed click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment