Fennel And Chickpea Soup

I saw this recipe in The Times colour supplement this weekend and as I usually lose recipes torn out of newspapers, decided to add it to my blog to share and so I can always find it.

2 large onions chopped
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 garlic clove crushed
3 bay leaves
400 g can of chickpeas
1 large bulb of fennel sliced
1 green chilli chopped
1 large sprig of bronze fennel chopped or
1 tsp fennel seeds
750 ml vegetable stock
Zest of one lemon
Salt and pepper

Saute the onions in the oil for 15 mins, add the fennel, garlic, chilli and bay leaves then cook for a further 10 mins.   Add the chickpeas, bronze fennel or fennel seeds and cook for a further 5 mins.


Add the stock and lemon zest and cook for 10 mins more, at which point I blitzed half the soup with a hand blender and added it back to the pan.   Serve with crusty bread, its delicous.


No comments:

Post a Comment