The Midland Hotel Promenade Morecambe 1st-3rd July 2015

I visited The Midland last December (prior to the inception of my food blog) had a great vegan experience, so revisited for a two day break with my husband, not only because the art deco hotel is so lovely, but because they cater for vegans.

My initial impression this time was excellent, I had emailed ahead to ask if almond milk could be available and arrived to find a jug in the room fridge, a great start.   The Sun Terrace restaurant has magnificent views over Morecambe Bay and is a light and airy space for dining.    We had a drink in the bar and was given the current vegan menu, which changes when the main A La Carte menu changes and my husband, recently diagnosed gluten intolerant offered their gluten free menu.


I chose a starter of apple and walnut salad followed by asparagus with crushed potatoes, broccoli puree, lemon gel and caper dressing and a side order of greens.    I had to ask if the bread offered was vegan, so our waitress headed off to the kitchen and came back with a brown roll for me.   What a shame they do not have a vegan bread included in the bread basket, especially as they go to the trouble of having a vegan menu.    I was very disappointed by the starter, unappealing, underseasoned and not a drop of dressing in sight, it would have been elevated if the walnuts (few and far between) had been toasted and the salad tossed in something like a walnut oil dressing.    I voiced my disappointment to our waitress and the restaurant manager, who blamed it on the kitchen being busy.


Mains was a small portion and equally uninspiring, a bit off putting not only by its predominant green colour, but with the peas and broad beans being very dry it needed a sauce, in addition to the broccoli puree.   It was a bland dish even when I added salt and pepper and it would have been better if the asparagus had been chargrilled and some olive oil drizzled over the whole dish.


I could only think that it was a different chef from my last visit and decided not to bother with a dessert, as sadly service had taken so long, I had lost my appetite and was beginning to wonder whether the whole visit was going to be as bad.

Breakfast the following morning redeemed the situation, as in all my years as a vegan I have never been offered a vegan breakfast menu in a hotel chain until now.   I was also given almond milk and there was an excellent choice of cold breakfast options including fruits and cereals.



I chose vegan sausages, fried potatoes, mushrooms and tomatoes and was told that there would be a slight wait, as it would all be cooked to order especially for me and it was worth the wait as you can see.


Second night dinner was a big improvement on the first, it was still busy in the restaurant and I was a little hesitant but I ordered a pickled vegetable and beetroot salad with rye bread, which although a small portion (I have a good appetite) was very tasty and beautifully presented.


The quinoa and pepper main course was fabulous, they say you eat with your eyes, well you certainly did with this dish, the photo says it all, it was delicious.


Dessert was steeped berries with raspberry sorbet, which again was well presented, full of flavour and a great end to the meal, what a contrast to the previous night.


After the first night I did think this would be my last visit to The Midland, but breakfast and the second nights meal saved the day.   I am still no wiser as to why the food was so disappointing initially, but there really is no excuse, consistency is key, but my faith has been restored so I will return, because at the end of the day I feel I should support establishments that go to the trouble that The Midland does.

No comments:

Post a Comment