Vegan Mayonnaise

I have had to forego my favourite Plamil mayonnaise, due to severe allergic reactions, which I originally thought was due to the high proportion of sunflower oil or its soya content, but just discovered it also contains the stabiliser guar gum, which if you have read my allergy post, is a huge problem for me.

So how glad was I, when I found out you could make mayonnaise using aquafaba, so here is the recipe I used courtesy of Peanut Butter and Vegan.

Makes about 1 cup

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp aquafaba
¾-1 cup of rapeseed oil

Blitz the vinegar, mustard, salt and aquafaba using a stick blender for a few seconds to thoroughly combine.


Whilst the blender is still running, slowly drizzle in the oil.   The mixture will begin to thicken up and turn a lovely creamy colour and you will need to move the blender around to ensure its mixed properly.   Once the mixture is so thick that it does not run off the blender, you can stop adding the oil, as the mayonnaise is ready.


Pour into a plastic container or jar and store in the fridge, where it will thicken up and is ready to use.


I made some coleslaw which is delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment