Coconut & Vanilla Panna Cotta

I have never eaten panna cotta, mainly because I have been vegan so long, back in the day, it just did not exist on restaurant menus.   I am hosting a dinner party in September, guests include my neighbours and a chef friend, all meat eaters, so I want to prove vegan food is fabulous.

I have never used agar flakes before, so thought it best to buy a recognised brand, so Clearspring was my choice, I love and trust their products.

My first attempt, when poured into glasses looked great, but split on cooling, although it was perfectly set, so back to the drawing board.



My second attempt, with a different recipe, again set perfectly, but it was not creamy enough, the reason I think, being made with just coconut milk.


The third go, a tweaked version of the second recipe, using Oatly cream was much improved, but next try will be all oat cream, so watch this space.

125 ml coconut milk (I used Koyo)
125 ml oat cream
1 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla powder
Zest of one lemon
1 tbsp water
1 tsp agar flakes
1 tsp Creme de Cassis

Serves 2

Put the caster sugar, vanilla, coconut milk, lemon zest and oat cream in a pan, bring to the boil, then add the water and agar flakes.   Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook gently, mixing with a balloon whisk, until the agar flakes are completely dissolved, this took about 10 mins.


Add the Creme de Cassis, which I only really added for some colour, but think the flavour will add to the finished dish.

Pour the mixture into two ramekins, leave to cool for 30 mins, then leave in the fridge until set.   Slide a knife carefully round the edge of the panna cotta, place a plate over the ramekin, up turn and give it a gently shake, you should hear a gentle plopping noise, as you sigh with relief.   If you struggle, place the ramekin in hot water for a few seconds and try again.


The panna cotta had a great wobble, which is mandatory apparently and I served it with pineapple, pistachio crumb and almond biscuits.




No comments:

Post a Comment