David Bann Restaurant St Mary's Street Edinburgh - 23rd July 2016

A trip to Edinburgh, had to include a visit to David Bann, a well known vegetarian and vegan restaurant in the city, which gets great reviews.


We arrived on a Sunday evening, expecting it to be quiet, it was packed to the rafters, just shows how popular vegan and vegetarian cuisine has become.

Whilst perusing the menus, we had a Mongozo organic buckwheat beer and a very nice vegan Rioja.



I ordered the vegan version of the salad of fennel, beetroot, raspberry and poached egg, not realising it would be replaced with fried smoked tofu, which Steven kindly devoured for me.   The salad was delicious, with broccoli and broad beans amongst the leaves and a delicious dressing.



Mains was aubergine and chickpeas koftas in a spicy coconut sauce, with sweet potato and toasted almonds.   What a beauty of a dish this was, especially as I love all the ingredients, perfectly executed and so good I nearly licked the plate.




I was way too full for dessert or coffee, although I was very tempted, but enjoyed the rest of the fantastic Rioja.

David Bann is not your everyday vegetarian restaurant, its fine dining, in a casual atmosphere, with service throughout friendly and professional.   We had a laugh with our Spanish waiter, who said he enjoyed the cooler Scottish weather, than the heat of his home city of Barcelona.   Would I go back, you bet I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment