Leo's Beanery Howe Street Edinburgh - 23rd July 2016

Leo's Beanery was a breakfast recommendation, by Scottish chef Tom Kitchin, in the Sunday Times, so I emailed them to ask about vegan options.   I had a fabulous reply from Marie, assuring me their breads were suitable and a number of options could be made vegan friendly, you cannot say fairer than that.


On a warm Saturday morning, we paid Leo's a visit, I really loved its frontage of duck egg blue, with seating outside on the small terrace, approached down some steps from pavement level.



Leo's is warm and welcoming inside and we bagged the last free table, as it was very busy. I mentioned to the waitress who brought menus, about my correspondence with Marie, who had briefed Manager Josie, who suggested a number of options, one being almond milk porridge with apple and cinnamon compote.   I was in Scotland, it would be rude not to sample its national dish and I was so glad I did, it was hearty and filling and with a large coffee, just the ticket for a morning of sightseeing.




As we went to pay, Josie came out of the kitchen, holding a tin containing a vegan fruit and nut loaf, so I had to have a takeaway slice, which came in very handy about two hours later, during a coffee rest stop.   The cake was delicious, moist, crumbly and energising.



I would definitely return to Leo's Beanery, when I come back to the beautiful city of Edinburgh and its all down to Tom Kitchin, so thank you Tom for your recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment