Courgette & Sweetcorn Fritters

My 83 yr old neighbour Alan, went on holiday last week and told me to pick courgettes from his garden, there are tons, so what to do with them, this recipe was the result.


100 g chickpea flour
1 tbsp olive oil
3 courgettes grated
140 g sweetcorn
1 garlic clove crushed
Handful of mint
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
Salt and pepper

Serves 2 (made 6 fritters)

Sieve the chickpea flour into a bowl, add the olive oil and enough water, so when you whisk it, it resembles an egg like consistency.   Leave to rest for at least 30 mins.


Spread the courgettes on a tray lined with kitchen roll, cover with another layer of kitchen roll, then put a chopping board on the top and weight it down (I used the mixing bowl with the chickpea mix in) for one hour.

Scrape the courgettes into the bowl, being careful not to add any of the paper, add the mint, garlic, sweetcorn, plenty salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.




Heat the rapeseed oil in a large frying pan, drop large spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and allow to cook, so the underneath begins to set.   Flatten each one with a fish slice, also using it to make sure the fritters keep a round even shape.   I made mine quite thin, to ensure they were cooked in the middle, but brown and crisp on the outside.   Flip and cook until browned on the other side.   At this stage I put them on a baking tray and kept them warm in the oven, whilst I cooked another batch.




I served the fritters with stir fried spring greens and peas, with some chilli sauce and I was well chuffed how they turned out




Whilst washing up, I was thinking of all the variations, using different vegetables, like finely chopped broccoli, sweet potato, peas instead of sweetcorn, different herbs,  I just happened to have mint growing in the garden.   You could flavour the fritters with Indian, Mexican or Thai spices, the possibilities are immense, they would be great served hot or cold in a sandwich.



No comments:

Post a Comment