Baltzersen's Oxford Street Harrogate - 24th August 2016

Baltzersen's is a Scandinavian inspired cafe during the day, which turns into Norse a relaxed fine dining restaurant, in the evening.   There is plenty of outside seating, which was packed when I visited, on a rare sunny day.   The only reason for my visit, was purely that they offer vegan options, which I notice is an increasing and welcome trend.


There is a minimalist feel to the place inside, but it has a relaxed and calm atmosphere, so nice to chill out.   I love they have a help yourself to water policy, on the counter near where I was sitting, one slightly sparkling, the other still, it was delicious, no surprise really, Harrogate water is always good.



I think the menu changes periodically, but I had my eye on the all day avocado on toast dish, as I love avocado.



The dish looked good, when it arrived on its small plate, but I was disappointed, it was rather skimpy and if I had chosen it as a breakfast option, after a night out, it certainly would not fill a gap.



The toast was tiny, more avocado was required and the dish needed a kick of something, as the lingonberry ketchup was mild for my taste, as was the garlic aioli.


However credit where its due, for making the vegan garlic aioli with aquafaba, I have never seen that on a menu anywhere.   My husbands sandwich came with more components on the plate, including potato salad, pickled girolles, charred baby gem and at only a £1 more than the avocado dish, was better value for money and more substantial.   Baltzersens told me, that with the avocado dish being a breakfast option, accompaniments like salad were not appropriate.   However the entire dish was cold, even the roasted tomatoes, so not sure it would be detrimental to the finished dish.

I hope they continue their vegan options and develop them, as I like to support independents and when in Harrogate again, I would love to try Norse, who offer a four course vegan menu, with two days notice.



No comments:

Post a Comment