Vegetable Samosas

I love samosas and prefer to make everything myself, so decided to have a go at making them and I was very pleased with the result.   I had no curry powder, so used what spices were in the cupboard and you can vary the vegetables, I just used what I had.  

½ pack of Jus Rol filo pastry
1 onion
2 carrots
1 leek finely chopped
1 potato
1 tbsp curry leaves
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp coriander leaves
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
Salt and pepper

Makes 14

Grate the carrot and onion into a pan, add the leek and 1½ tbsp oil.  


I baked the potato, as I was having one for lunch and so added the flesh to the pan, with the spices and plenty seasoning.


Cook for 15-20 mins, until the carrot, leek and onion are really soft and all the spices have released their flavour.


Put into a dish to cool, whilst you prepare the filo pastry.


Filo pastry dries out really quickly, so lay on a cloth, with the short side facing you and cover with a cloth.


When the filling has cooled, cut the filo pastry into four equal strips from left to right, take one and cover the rest with the cloth.

I always cover the counter top with clingfilm, because turmeric stains and I always wear plastic gloves, otherwise your hands will be yellow for days.   Lay the filo as in the photo below and place a teaspoon of filling in the left hand corner.   Brush some oil on the bottom and right side of the filo, which helps the pastry to stick together.




Carefully seal the edges, then brush the rest of the filo with oil, then fold the triangle upwards, pressing any air out as you go.


At this stage, fold the triangle left diagonally, with the final fold upwards, to make a neat triangle, with the filling completely enclosed in the pastry.



At this stage, I froze the samosas on a baking tray or cook at 180º for 15-20 mins, until crisp and golden.


No comments:

Post a Comment