Rudy's Neapolitan Pizza Cotton Street Manchester - 2nd March 2016

Rudy's Pizza is in the up and coming Ancoats area of Manchester and has been on my bucket list to visit for ages.   Owner Jim makes pizza the traditional Neapolitan way and I was dying to try his Marinara, so today was the day.


I was lucky to sit at the bar, overlooking the kitchen and the pizza making in operation, with a pizza oven burning away at about 400º cooking pizza in about sixty seconds.  



I ordered a Campari and soda served with crisps, a really nice touch and some fabulous olives.



Marinara pizzas on most Italian menus in the UK are seafood based, which is totally wrong and having eaten Marinara many times in Naples, I was so pleased to see that Rudy's serve it as it should be.


I was salivating as I saw the pizza go into the oven and when it was served, I could not wait to tuck in.




The dough is made in the traditional way, left to prove at room temperature and made fresh every day, you can tell, it was awesome.   The tomato sauce is made from San Marzano tomatoes, topped with fresh garlic, oregano and basil, a simple topping with nowhere to hide.   The pizzas are substantial, but are so light and delicious, it would be a crime to leave any, I ate every morsel.   I have not eaten pizza as good as this since my last visit to Naples and that includes pizza in other areas of Italy.   Owner Jim is passionate about his pizzas, I had a chat with him and you can tell he is pizza mad, well all I can say is 'I am mad about Rudy's pizza' and I will be back.   And why Rudy's, well that's the name of Jim's dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment