Aubergine Bacon

I have never been a fan of meat like alternatives, tried fake bacon once and hated it, but I was intrigued by this recipe by Aylin from Ecosalon.   Aubergine is one of my favourite vegetables and coincidentally the day I made it, newspapers were full of news about a form of MRSA being found in pork products, what better time to try vegan bacon.

1 aubergine
2 tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce if you are not soya allergic like me)
1 tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp liquid smoke
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp olive oil

Makes 8-10 slices

Heat the oven to 200°.  Cut the aubergine lengthwise into slices, I did not make them too thin, as I did not want the bacon to be too crispy.   Mix the coconut aminos, paprika, sugar, chilli powder, liquid smoke and maple syrup together, if you want a really smokey bacon, add more liquid smoke and paprika.


Line a baking tray or dish with parchment paper and brush with the olive oil.


Place the aubergine slices on the parchment paper turning over, so that both sides are coated with the oil.


Bake for 10-15 mins in the oven, until beginning to brown slightly, take out the oven and brush with the smoke mixture on both sides.


Return to the oven until brown and crispy, checking to make sure you do not burn the aubergine, turning regularly.   Remove from the oven and drain on kitchen paper.



I served on a granary teacake with sliced tomatoes and ketchup, absolutely loved it, far better to use vegetables, than processed meat replacements.




No comments:

Post a Comment