Pea & Potato Dumplings

I saw this recipe in Vegan Food & Living magazine and knew I had to make it, as its a little like gnocchi, which I love.  


1 kg potatoes
300 g peas
Zest of one lemon
125 g - 250 g plain flour (depending on the moisture in the potatoes, I used chickpea flour)
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper

Serves 4-6

Cook the potatoes and peas.   Drain and put into a bowl, with the lemon zest, plenty salt and pepper and mash until smooth.



Begin to mix in the flour, little by little, using a fork and as the mixture comes together, continue to add more flour, until you have a dough, that is neither too sticky or too firm.


I covered my kitchen work top with clingfilm and continued kneading the dough for a minute, until smooth.



Bring a pan of water to the boil, break off a small piece of the dough and drop into the boiling water.   When it floats to the surface and retains its shape, the dough is ready to be cooked.   If it falls apart, add more flour to the dough and knead again.  


Divide the mixture into even sizes, I weighed them into 40 g dumplings.



Cook the dumplings in batches (or freeze some if you do not need to use them all at once) and as they come to the surface, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.



Heat the oil in a pan and fry the dumplings, until crisp and golden on the outside.


I served these light and fluffy dumplings, with mushroom bolognese, a recipe from an earlier edition of Vegan Food & Living.




No comments:

Post a Comment