Zefferellis Compston Road Ambleside - 25th October 2016

Zefferellis opened in 1980 as a vegetarian restaurant, but now includes a cafe, jazz bar and cinema, all in one building, so it can be a full evening out, a bonus as it rains a lot in the Lakes.   I have been visiting Zefferellis for more years than I care to remember, seen it develop and evolve into what it is today and hope to visit for many years to come.

We were staying at its sister venue Ambleside Manor on a three night break, including dinner at Zefferellis one night, though we did in fact end up dining there two nights in a row.

The place was packed to the rafters on a half term weekend and has a buzzing atmosphere, is really spacious and has excellent lighting for dining.   We were shown through to a table for two and served by Robin, who with other members of staff, did an excellent job looking after us.


The menu is extensive, with clearly labelled vegan options and being recommended the Nut Wellington, by my Twitter friend Dan Hanks, I was disappointed to hear they had sold out.   The wine list has clearly labelled vegan wines, which makes life so much easier and I chose a delicious rich Teroldego Rotalino.


Starter was avocado caponata, a perfect start, I adore avocado and I will copy this dish, when I get back home, it was so tasty.


Main course was a vegan version of Pasta alla Genovese, I eat so much pasta at home, yet cannot resist ordering it, when I dine out, the dish was rich and delicious, complimented perfectly by the wine.



I was fairly full at this point and although summer pudding was on offer, I chose a lighter option, elderflower and lemon sorbet, a perfect palate cleanser.


I was so determined to try the Nut Wellington, we went back to Zefferellis the following night and lucky for me, there were two portions left.   I knew this would be a filling dish, so only had a green salad starter, choosing another cracking vegan wine, a Trentino Merlot.


The Wellington made of pecans and cashews, served with mashed potato, roast vegetables and a red wine sauce, has to be the best rendition of this dish, I have ever eaten.   It had everything, it was packed with flavour, moist, rich, comforting and I nearly licked my plate clean, no wonder it sells out.   Thanks Dan (:-)




I was way too full for pudding, but try to keep me away from Zefferellis in future, it is a legend in Ambleside, apparent by its popularity, at any time of the day.   A wonderful experience and a must visit place, for any vegans visiting the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment