Ply MCR Lever Street Manchester - 13th October 2016

Ply offers craft beers, cocktails and Neapolitan pizzas and I follow them on Twitter.   I asked if their pizza bases were vegan friendly and booked a table, when they confirmed they were.   The menu is compact offering small plates and a good selection of pizzas, so a winner for me.



Ply also offer a free membership scheme, with various discounts offered, both with themselves and participating partners. so I signed up before our visit.

The place was buzzing on a Thursday evening and we felt welcomed, by every member of staff we encountered, especially our waiter Gabriel, who looked after us so well.   The place is hip, cool, with a industrial warehouse kind of feel, with a funky music mix from a DJ, who I believe is from Planet Records, setting the tone of the place, I loved it the minute I walked through the front door.

I researched Ply's wine list, prior to visiting and found plenty of vegan choices, a shame they do not list them as such.   My choice was unusual, having never heard of the Aglianico grape, but having chatted with Claudio of wine producer, Il Cancelliere in Campania via email, I was sold.   He confirmed "we do not fine, filter or clarify or add sulphites, so our wine is as natural as possible resulting in a strong and full bodied wine, like a good Aglianico should be".   Claudio was right, it was 14.5% and I loved it, hope Ply keep it on the list.



I chose Nocellera olives and Marcona almonds to start, a perfect nibble, whilst sipping my Campari and soda.


I chose the roast vegetable pizza, with red onions and wild broccoli, replacing the mozzarella and Gabriel brought chilli oil, just in case the shaker of chilli flakes on the table, was not hot enough.



The sourdough process for the base, takes thirty six hours and you can tell, it was stretchy but not tough, crisp but not hard, it was totally delicious.  The topping was equally as good, I loved the earthy flavour of the wild broccoli and with chilli flakes and chilli oil, it was a winner of a pizza.

I had such a great time, Ply far exceeded my expectations on all levels, I cannot wait to return, maybe one day they will offer specific vegan pizzas with vegan cheese, but their current pizzas are pretty hard to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment