Pollen Bakery Sheffield Street Manchester

Pollen Bakery is a sourdough and Viennoiserie bakery near Piccadilly station, run by Hannah Calvert and Chris Kelly.   They make sourdough bread, made with naturally occurring yeast from a sourdough culture, which is vegan friendly containing only three ingredients, flour, water and salt.   None of those horrible preservatives, E numbers, additives, so its my kind of bread.   The sourdough process is long, twenty eight hours in Pollen's case, which makes it more digestible.

Pollen Bakery supply a number of places in Manchester and luckily for me, my choice of venue for lunch The Pilcrow Pub is one of them.   I tweeted enquiring about a vegan option for my lunchtime visit, I received a reply from both within minutes of my enquiry tweet, that is customer service and why I like to support independent businesses, they go the extra mile.   The Pilcrow offered to order a vegan sandwich and put it aside just for me and Pollen Bakery sent me a photo of their herb cannellini bean, avocado, black olive and salad leaf sandwich.   I was sold.






My sandwich made from the best sourdough bread I have ever eaten, was fabulous, the bread had a lovely crust, great texture, with that delicious sourdough smell, I did not want to finish eating it and will copy the filling idea, it was that good.

I would love to try their other sourdoughs, they make oat porridge, rye, five seed and a weekly seasonal special on a Saturday.   I feel comfort in the fact, that if I see Pollen Bakery bread on a menu, when I dine out in Manchester, I know it is vegan.

I am not sure if you can visit them, during working hours, but would love to see the bread making process, ask a few questions, like how old their sourdough starter is.   This is real bread, none of that cotton wool, rubbery bread you get in a supermarket and I cannot wait to eat it again.





1 comment:

  1. Hello Vegan Olive,

    Your very welcome to visit us at the bakery and we will answer any questions you have. We always had the idea of a very open bakery where all our processes and ingredients were on view for customers to see. There are no secret ingredients we would want to hide from anyone. Get in touch and we will show you around.

    Chris & Hannah - Pollen Bakery

    ReplyDelete