The Three Fishes Mitton Road Whalley - 29th January 2016

I have been visiting The Three Fishes for a number of years and always been so well looked after, always giving notice, so the kitchen has time to plan dishes.   I visited last night, to sample their new vegan menu, launching today 29th January 2016, which I believe will change as the main menu changes.   This is great news, it makes for spontaneous dining, as when a group of friends want to go out, the choice of venue is left to me and whether they will cater for me.


I had a telephone call the evening prior to our visit, from Manager Martin, who was particularly concerned about soya flour which was in their bread, served with the soup, but I assured him that I would have more than enough to eat.....I was right!

I chose the roasted tomato soup, which was so colourful, a healthy portion and really delicious, my husband tasted it and said he would happily have eaten it.


I struggled as to main course, I love burger and chips, but butternut squash and chickpea curry won the day, what a good choice!   When my mains arrived, the aromas were amazing and whoever made it, got the spicing absolutely spot on, I struggle to get flavours just right in a curry, but this dish was better than most Indian restaurants I have been to.   It was served with basmati rice and two delicious cauliflower pakoras, my husband tried the dish and said although he was enjoying his main, could he swop.



Dessert had to be apple crumble, even though I should have chosen sorbet, as I was pretty full, because I was dying to try the almond milk custard.   The portion would certainly satisfy any appetite, in fact I failed to eat it all, but it was not for the want of trying.   The crumble was delicious, but really light and the custard was gorgeous, no lumps just silky smooth.




Service throughout was professional and friendly as usual and the food was delicous, if anything there was a bit too much for me, but that is a personal thing.   I had studied the wine list, prior to visting and chose two very nice vegan wines, a white Seguinot Bordet Chablis for the starter and a fabulous Finca Manzanos Rioja to go with the mains.   I prefer to chose wines by the glass, it gives more variety and although wines on menus are not listed as vegan, I have found it pretty easy to find out if they are or not.   The Three Fishes have quite a few vegan wines by the glass and even more by the bottle, maybe one day this information will become more easily accessible.

I hope the vegan menu is a success, I am sure it will be popular with both vegans, vegetarians, dairy or egg intolerant or those wishing to reduce meat intake or chose healthier options.   I will definitely be supporting their efforts and have plans to revisit with various friends very soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment